There’s no better place to spend your Independence Day Celebrations than the Wildwoods. We are excited to see many of you this weekend, but in case we don’t….
In honor of our most patriotic holiday, here are just a couple recipes for some red, white and blue munchies that your whole family will enjoy!
Caprese Tomato Bites
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Scoop out and discard pulp of cherry tomatoes. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a food processor, combine the cream, mozzarella cheese, basil and garlic; cover and process until blended.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Fill with cheese mixture.
- Turn tomato halves over; drizzle with vinegar. Pipe cheese mixture into tomatoes. Refrigerate until serving.
Kid-Friendly Patriotic Punch
- Cran-cherry juice (red)
- Non-alcoholic piña colada mixer (white)
- A blue raspberry drink (blue).
To get the layered effect, you’ll need to do a few things:
- Start by filling the glass about 1/4-1/3 of the way up with the drink with the highest sugar content per serving (red in this case).
- Then, fill the cup FULL with ice.
- Pour the drink with the next highest sugar content (white in this case) very slowly over the ice. You’ll use the ice as a sort of buffer – pouring directly on to the ice with a very slow pour (small amount). If you just pour a whole bunch in quickly, the colors will combine.
- Repeat with the last layer (blue in this case)
- Snip the ends off of a Twizzlers candy and place in the drink for a straw. For some added fun, you could take some of the red, white, and blue Twizzlers PULL ‘N’ PEEL candy to add a little edible bow or tie to your straw.
Berry Patriotic Poke Cake
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 box (3 oz.) Strawberry Gelatin Dessert
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Extra Creamy Whipped Topping, thawed
- 1 package (6 oz.) fresh raspberries
- About ¼ cup fresh blueberries
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13″x9″ pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
Follow the cake mix box directions to prepare the cake batter using the cake mix, 1 cup water, oil and the egg whites. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Then poke holes in the cake at ½-inch intervals.
In a small bowl, add 1 cup of boiling water to the gelatin mix. Stir well, then add in ½ cup of cold water and stir again. Pour over the cake, making sure to get the gelatin into each of the holes. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Once the cake has chilled for at least 2 hours, spread the entire tub of whipped topping evenly over top of it. Use the blueberries and raspberries to create an American flag design on top of the whipped topping if desired.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
We hope you’ll try these out sometime this holiday weekend, whether you’re having a BBQ, a dinner or a party! Do you have a recipe that’s tradition for your Fourth of July get-together? Tell us about it!